Considering Counselling

I remember my first session as a client and how nervous I was. As a counsellor I look forward to meeting you, I am interested in whatever it is that brings you to therapy and I hope that you will find me genuine and supportive.

When Counselling works best

I first had personal counselling because it was a training requirement. Whilst I was pleased to have the experience I continued more out of curiosity than a desire to work with personal issues. I decided that a few sessions were sufficient. 

 As the training progressed I found that I was more in touch with my emotions and with areas of my life that felt stressful and uncertain. I tried therapy again and reached new understandings about myself and my relationships with others. It was a challenging, healing and growth full experience. In addition to my personal development, from a professional point of view I learnt that counselling works best when the client wants to engage with it.
When someone contacts me to arrange therapy for a relative or friend I always appreciate their call and at the same time I want to check that the person they are contacting me about would like to have counselling themselves. This is so that they can truly benefit from their sessions.

How many Sessions?

Sometimes people ask me how many sessions they will need. They might be wondering ‘how long before I will feel better or experience some sort of change’. Others prefer to have counselling on a long term basis.

I find that it is best to discuss the number of sessions together, taking into account your needs and wishes. These can change over time and you might like to have a review to look at how you are feeling and to consider your next steps.

Why Choose Counselling?

People decide to have counselling for all sorts of reasons. Maybe something happened to you in the past and continues to cause you distress or perhaps there are problems, tangles, unhappiness and anxieties in your life right now.

Sometimes the issues are not so clear. Maybe you feel that something is wrong without being able to identify a specific problem. Perhaps you are experiencing sadness, a loss of energy, a sense of being stuck, restlessness, feelings of emptiness, moodiness and so on. 

Who’s doing the talking?

Occasionally a new client asks ‘will you expect me to do all the talking?’ The answer to this question is 'no'. My Person-Centred approach is relational, it involves us forming a bond and working together with the issues that you bring so our conversations are two-way.

What is counselling like?

For me counselling is about supporting you as you explore your own thoughts and feelings. This can become a deep and emotional journey that might be challenging and painful at times. You are always in charge of how deep we go. We will work at your pace and you can decide what we will talk about. I hope that you will feel supported, accepted and understood.


Lighter moments often arise naturally. Sharing laughter can be healing and replenishing.


No comments: